If certain dimensions are often used together or are affecting each other, you can add a dimension plus dimension value to an existing dimension.
This means that if you post a document that uses a certain dimension, the extended dimension will also be posted.
This example shows how extended dimensions work by using the dimension Employee with the dimension value Max Mustermann and the extended dimension Area with the dimension Sales.
Extending dimensions is only possible in one direction. This means that if you extend a dimension, e.g. If you extend the dimension Employee (dimension value Max Mustermann) with the dimension Area (dimension value Sales), you won’t be able to extend the dimension Area with the dimension Employee. This is done to prevent infinite loops of dimensions.
Extended dimensions are only used in documents that have been created after setting up extended dimensions. Documents that have already been posted won’t be updated.
Setting up extended dimension
This section describes how you set up an extended dimension.
Please proceed as follows:
- Use the quick search in TRASER DMS 365 (ALT+Q) to find the page Dimensions.
- The page Dimensions is displayed.
- Select the dimension that you would like to extend.
- Click Dimension > Dimension Values.in the menu bar.
- The dimension values for the selected dimension is displayed. TheExtended column shows if an extended dimension has already been added to the dimension value.
- Click on a dimension value that hasn’t been extended yet (i.e. when the value in the Extended column is No).
- Click Extended Dimensions in the menu bar.
- The window Edit – Extended Dimensions List is displayed.
- In the Extended Dimension Code column, select the dimension value from the drop-down menu that you would like to extend the preceding dimension with.
- In the Extended Dimension Code column, select the dimension value from the drop-down menu.
- To save the changes and to go back to the previous window, click on Close.
The dimension value in the Extended column will be changed to Yes.
The following screenshot shows an example of the dimension Employee with the dimension value Max Mustermann. The dimension value Max Mustermann has an extended dimension and thus the Extended column shows the value Yes.